A Platform to make software engineering education ACCESSIBLE and fun for Hıgh school students.
How might we close the Technology Education Gap for students aged 11-18 and create a bigger pipeline of tech talent for the future?
Athena has done as part of the Cornell Tech Product Design Studio in collaboration with Bloomberg and Cornell Tech students. Everyday technology becomes more advanced and integral in our daily lives. As this process continues, it is essential that young people learn the basics of software engineering. Our product gives teachers who aren't equipped to build a lesson from scratch the tools to create an effective lesson plan for their classroom. And it gives students access to the educational resources online that allow students to learn the basics of software engineering.
- Making learning code accessible and fun for everyone.
- Giving teachers lesson planning tools
- Bringing teachers and students at the same platform and encourage students to ask their questions anytime.
User Experience Design, Visual Design, Prototyping, Branding
Mehtap Aydin(Design), Zexi Liu(Dev.), Ben Krieger (Dev.), Glenn Reese(MBA)
Bloomberg Data Science (Cornell Tech Product Studio)
YEAR & PLACE
2016 - NY
System diagram invision link
USER TEST OUTCOMES
The trial went very well!! We had 20+ students show up and they all learned a lot and enjoyed it. :)
The improvement that is needed from now on:
- need a next lesson button at the end of the lesson or when someone got the correct answer
- The chat is too large on the right when we have like 20+ users signed on; it should scroll properly
- Show individual lines' syntax highlighting
Regarding chatting, the students didn't use it as much since we had a lot of mentors in the room and they preferred to ask mentors. However, this shows the importance of having mentors and if the students' work on this on their own, they would probably leverage the chat more.